Russian Potato Salad (Olivier Salad)
adapted from multiple sources but originally discovered when my stepmom made this for a get-together!
• 1 lb baked or rotisserie chicken¹, shredded
• 5-6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
• 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 cups frozen peas², thawed
• 2 cups dill pickles, finely diced
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
• 1 cup mayo, or more or less to taste
• salt & pepper, to taste³
➀ Remove skin and shred the cooked chicken (a store-bought rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut for this!). Place meat in large mixing bowl.
➁ Place chopped potatoes into a pot and cover with water. Boil 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and add to mixing bowl.
➂ Stir in thawed peas, eggs, pickles, onion, dill, and mayonaise, adding salt and pepper to taste.
➀ Other variations include ham, and even diced bologna, but I prefer chicken, myself.
➁ Most recipes call for diced carrot as well, but I don't like carrot unless it's stewed to tasteless, so I leave it out. Feel free to add it back in, though!
➂ If you don't know where to start with salt and pepper, start with about 1/4 teaspoon each and go up from there.